Friday 12 September 2014

Bookworm Week: Friday


A BOOK THAT EVERYONE SHOULD READ AT LEAST ONCE

You've probably heard of this one before. It's not been massively in the public eye but it's been pottering along quite nicely, worming it's way onto peoples' bookshelves. The title probably rings a bell, even if you've never heard of the book, as a performance of an onstage adaptation of this was stopped when the roof of the West End theatre that it was being performed in collapsed onto members of the audience. Yikes. But lucky no one was seriously hurt.

'The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-Time' is one book that I believe everyone in the world should read! No, really, I'm being serious. I borrowed this book from a friend (in fact I've still not given it back) over a year ago and it took me a while to pick up, but when I did it took me only a day to get through. We had been talking about books and she mentioned this one. She had read it while on holiday and passed it to her Dad to read as well, who remarked that it looked like a children's book, but was also totally captivated by it. I have to agree, this is not a children's book due to a little bit of strong language but also because it deals with the sorts of issues that I don't even think most adults could fully deal with.
The story follows Christopher. It's Christopher's diary. He is 15 and although his condition is not actually specified the back of the book refers to Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism. The book as a whole follows Christopher as he tries to discover who killed his next-door neighbour's dog, Wellington. It is a fabulous mystery story and really leaves you guessing as to who did kill Wellington but also gives a great insight into the challenges of someone who lives with a condition such as Asperger's.
I'm not going to tell you any more than that really. I will admit that this one is filled with twists, but has to be one of the single best books I have ever read!

No comments:

Post a Comment