Monday 20 October 2014

Making your room your own...



Apologies for the over-instagrammed picture, but that's just what you have to do when you're very excited about your new look room.

I say 'new' very loosely, it's been this way for quite a while now. Until about a year ago, my bedroom had changed very little since I was 9 years old. The only change was that the walls changed from green to cream, and it had taken me 6 years to get that far. My bed was still the same one that my brother had when he first moved out of his cot, it was 26 years old and falling apart. It was time for a change. 
A feature wall, new carpet, some scatter cushions, a furry throw, new curtains and some pretty little finishing touches later, I had a new room that I could really relax in. 
A year on, I still adore my revamped room and wanted to share with you guys some my tips for making your space your own. 

Find a colour scheme and stick to it. A common theme in the Pinterest pictures that we all envy is that, however subtle it may be, all of the bedrooms have a colour scheme. Mine, I will admitt, is less than neutral, but I fell in love with this turquoise blue colour and I just had to have it. Everything in my room is now either blue, black, white or silver, and that includes feature wall, my bed, carpet, cushions, bed covers, curtains, storage boxes, shelves and even photo frames etc... It's just helped make my room feel like a really cute little place to spend time. 

Only replace what needs replacing. It was so tempting to buy a whole set of completely new furniture, and although it all has general wear-and-tear, the only thing that desperately needed changing was my bed. I saved so much money by just cleaning up and doing a spot of DIY on my existing furniture. If that's not going to be enough for you, then why not think about showing your wardrobe or chest of drawers some love with a new coat of paint? 

Dark coloured speckled carpets are hell when it comes to catching spiders. You can't catch something you can't see. End of story. Just bare that in mind.

Refresh! Even if you aren't changing the colour of your walls or ceiling (I didn't, I just put some fancy wallpaper on one wall), I would definitely recommend a quick refresh. Yes it seems pointless painting the same colour over a cream wall, but it makes such a difference. Little marks, cracks, accidental make-up spillages, it's like they were never there.

Optimise your storage opportunities. In my opinion, clutter is the enemy of a comfy room. I invested in the cutest zebra print boxes, they were only like £2 from B&M and are great for hiding away little knick-knacks. I also have two enormous clear plastic boxes under my bed to keep books in and two more in the top of my wardrobe to keep tidy all of the things that I don't hang up. It makes such a difference.

It's all in the details. One thing I was completely certain on was that I wanted lots of photos in my room, so I went out and bought loads of cute cheap photo frames. I love little trinkets and jars so I got some of those too. And I love candles, so they are everywhere aswell (always in colours matching my colour scheme though). I even found a really sweet little wooden sewing box in The Works for about £4, it looks really different and is a lovely touch on my windowsill.

Lastly, it takes time, but it doesn't have to take lots of money. I started my room in August 2013, I would still not consider it completely finished. I only changed my purple curtains to my new blue ones about 3 months ago, and I still want to revamp my chair. But even though it's all a complete change, nothing, apart from my carpet and bed, were particularly pricey, but they are higher value items anyway. Most things cost me less than £10, so it really doesn't have to be an expensive venture at all. I bought so many items from places like Wilkinsons, Primark, B&M and Tesco and there's nothing that I bought which hasn't stood the test of time after a year.

Happy revamping! 

No comments:

Post a Comment